What are the differences between Water softener models?
- The most significant difference is the dimensions, choose one that fits your space.
- The number of people it can support, an approximate is shown on the unit to help. Larger units are more efficient.
- The size of the fittings they come with, these are changeable and alternate sizes are inexpensive.
- The estimated amount of water it can soften between regeneration, each regeneration consumes salt so the less it needs to regenerate the less salt it needs.
What are main features of Water2Buy Water softener models?
- The resin is the most important part of a water softener. Resin is the part that removes the limescale. W2B models use ionX fine mesh resin, which is 20% more efficient than standard resins.
- All models have adjustable water hardness, you can easily adjust the level of water softness you need without using extra parts. Water softeners without this feature require a mounting block with mixing taps in some regions.
- All models (Except W2B110) have a water bypass valve included. This allows you to instantly bypass the unit if you have any issue with your water. A bypass is a requirement in some regions so you won’t have extra expense in purchasing another part.
- The system is run by an Automatic digital controller and operates without the need for manual starting.
- Choose a model that supports the number of people using the water in the house. If you have 6 people and pick a unit suggested for 4 then it will still work, it will just be less efficient on salt use.
- If you have lots of space in a garage or basement then choose a bigger unit. If you need to fit in a cupboard choose a smaller one!
- You’ll need to plug it in to mains power. It runs of a 12v power supply so it consumes very little power perhaps €£20 annually.
- If you know your pipe size you can match the softener fittings size of the softener and buy connection hoses.
- The softener should be installed after your internal water shut off valve where the water enters the house.
- The unit needs access to a drain and overflow location. The drain is used for cleaning cycles (regeneration) and the overflow is a safety measure.
- Finally the water softener should be installed in a place that is protected from the weather, frost and heat can damage your water softener.
- Install the water softener at the point where the water enters your house. Locate the stop-cock water valve for your house. In most houses in the UK and Ireland it is under the kitchen sink, in Europe and the USA the water usually enters the home in the basement. Always turn off your water before modifying the plumbing. Never install before the stop-cock valve, cutting the water pipe before this point will result in flooding. Water softeners do not have an effect on water pressure so they can be installed with a combi-boiler.
- The water entering your home is the hard water supply. If you want any water devices, drinking water filters or outdoor taps to be installed with hard water then install them them off this part of the plumbing system. Everything after this point will be soft water. Install a drinking water filter on the hard water line to avoid risk of salt in drinking water.
- You will need some plumbing fittings to put on the ends of your pipe to connect the water softener to. Your pipes can be 1/2″, 3/4″ or 1″ (15mm, 22mm, 28mm) Buy fittings that are the same size as your pipes.
The fitting is called a Compression Adapting Male Coupler. You will need 2, one for each end of the water pipe you are cutting. Fittings are available in 90 Degree bends or straight and are available in any hardware store.
Due to the variance in pipe sizes and pipe materials across countries we recommend using the local standard in your home.
- The connection hoses are a flexible connection between your plumbing and the water softener, they allow you to move the water softener during maintenance. The free plastic connection hoses that come with some water softeners are adequate, however Water2buy do not supply plastic hoses with the softener as we recommend using high quality stainless steel braided hoses. This connection point is the main water connection feeding everything else in your home so it needs to be strong and durable. You’ll need 2 hoses one in and one out. The first hose connects your mains hard water supply to your water softener. The second returns soft water from your water softener to your water system. Buy the same size hoses as your pipes. E.g. If you have 3/4 in pipes, then buy 3/4 hoses and connect them to 3/4 water softener connection fittings.
- Water Softener Connection Fittings. The fittings on a water2buy softener are inexpensive and interchangeable. So you can buy different size fittings if you need to. This makes Water2Buy water softeners compatible with all plumbing. Water2Buy water softeners come with 1 set of fittings included, check the listing for the size included. These fittings should be the same size as the connection hoes.
- Bypass valve. Your local plumbing code may require you to have a method of bypassing the water softener in the event of a problem. All Water2buy models apart from the W2B110 come with a bypass valve included so there is no need to purchase an extra bypass valve or mounting block
- The water enters the water softener and passes through the Ion Exchange resin. This process softenes the water. The crystal salt is used by the water softener to regenerate the resin and keep the water softener process running. Without salt the softening process will stop. Keep your water softener topped up with Water2Buy Crystal salt.
- Overflow pipe, Overflow pipes allow water to overflow to a safe location in case of a malfunction. All Water2buy models except the W2B200 require an overflow pipe. The W2B200 has a built in automatic cut off mechanism so does not require an overflow pipe to be installed.
- The water softener washes salt water through it’s system during its Regeneration. The salt water is flushed to the waste, so nearby access to the waste is required for a water softener. Note that the waste and overflow locations should not be the same. The only time you’ll hear a water softener is during regeneration, they make a noise similar to a dishwasher for a few minutes but are silent in formal operation.
- The resulting water is soft water. Everything connected to your return pipe will have softened water including your shower, dishwasher and showers. Using the adjustment valve on the water softener you can adjust the hardness from completely soft to the level you require.
(A) Parts 5,6,7 Water Softener Connection Fittings, Bypass valve and Water Softener are included in your water softener box.
(B) Parts 4,8,9 The connection hoses (stainless steel), Overflow pipe and the waste pipe are included in water softener easy install kits available from water2buy
If you want Water2buy to install your product, you can purchase a water2buy Pro install.
Regeneration is the cleaning process where salt is used to wash the resin in your water softener. The resin is the part that actually removes limescale. After regeneration, a water softener can produce its full capacity of soft water without needing to regenerate again. Regeneration is often called backwash. A backwash takes about 30 minutes and usually performs when the water is not in use.
‘Timer’ or ‘Meter’ refers to the regeneration type. A Timer water softener regenerates every few days regardless of water usage. So a timer will always regenerate and use salt even if it’s capable of producing more soft water. This means a timer uses more salt and water than a meter. A Meter Softeners measures your water usage and counts down the soft water capacity it has left. It only performs a regeneration when there is no softening capacity left, making it more efficient.
Delivery is free when you spend over 50 €$£ otherwise it’s only 10 €$£ in UK, EU & the USA If you want to return the item we’ll take it back for free and refund you immediately.
Deliveries are by courier and usually dispatched the same day.
We send you a notification and tracking number once your order dispatches.
easyBot is a 24hr live chat available in the app or website, easy bot can track your delivery, get you an invoice or and help solve problems with your product.
Customer service agents are available during office hours on the phone and by email.
The standard warranty is 1 year with the product.
Extended warranties are free when registered in the app.
Water softeners have extended warranties of 7 years
and Reverse Osmosis systems 5 years