What are they and what do they do?
First of all, you need to talk to the manufacturer of these devices to get the facts.
- Consumer protection laws are clear across the land. Manufacturers must have scientific test data to back up their claims for their particular product.
- Since no testing standard exists in the US for these devices we have not tested nor certified these products so we can only pass on what we have heard.
- We understand that there are products that are marketed as scale control devices.
- Scale is the rock like mineral deposit (limestone) made up of calcium carbonate that forms inside water heaters, pipes, and fixtures over a period of time.
- Scale control devices can have the ability under certain circumstances to help reduce the amount of scaling inside these pipes and fixtures.
- To our knowledge these scale control devices do not claim to remove calcium and so they do not produce soft water.
- Controlling scale inside pipes, water heaters, and fixtures is an important benefit but it is only a partial benefit.